News & Competitions

Pets on tour!

Read here

Golden Oldies

Read here

Theres a worm at the bottom of your garden ...

Read here

Flystrike.. A serious problem!!

Read here

Veterinary Poisons

We were notified this morning that sadly a dog belonging to one of our clients was believed to be poisoned whilst out for a walk in the local area. Unfortunately he was unable to be saved.

We are asking that everybody be vigilant whilst walking their dogs in the local area, especially Batchelors Farm and the Water Tower fields.

If you think that your dog has eaten something whilst out or if you notice any unusual behavior after walking, please ring for advice or for an appointment. Even if it is out of hours, we are here to help.

The poison this dog ate is believed to have been rat poison laced inside a sandwich.

We have attached the link to the Veterinary Poisons Helpline below:

Yoda - A Spring In His Step He Has!
Read here

Make your own treats using a specific diet.

Read how to here

Grass seed danger!!

Read here

Tick Patrol!
Read here
Quote TICK10 for 10% off your tick collar in the practice!(valid until 31.03.2017)

The cat who got the Queen
Read here

Are you ready? One..Two..Flea.. Go!
Read now

Avoid an itchy situation...
Read now

Lungworm prevention
read now

Tapeworm will make you squirm..
Read here

Flystrike information
We have already seen cases of flystrike this year.  Flystrike is a life-threatening disease of rabbits.  It is mainly seen in the warmer months, although in some cases it can be a problem year-round.  The disease is caused by flies laying eggs on the rabbit’s fur.  These hatch into maggots which infest the rabbit and can cause severe and even fatal damage.  It can be a very quick progression- fatal damage can take less than 48 hours to develop once the eggs are laid.  Eggs are typically laid around the rabbits bottom or above its tail and the maggots are often hidden by the fur.

There are several important things you can do to help prevent this disease.  Please talk to us at the surgery about effective preventative treatments.  Your rabbit’s bottom should be checked carefully every day for fly eggs or patches of wet fur that may cover maggots, and twice daily in the summer.  Any flyeggs found should be removed, this can be done by carefully combing them from the fur, making sure all have been removed.  Wet fur is particularly attractive to flies so it is important your rabbit is dried very carefully if it gets wet.  Even just getting wet in the rain has been enough to lead to flystrike.  Environments such as hutches and runs, etc., should be cleaned out thoroughly and frequently so that flies are not attracted to the area.

If your rabbit shows any signs of flystrike please call the surgery immediately, it is very important that treatment starts as soon as possible.

23 March 2017

Today at Cootes we have had our Practice Standards Inspection. It is very much like an Ofsted Inspection and I just wanted to say how proud I am of my outstanding team.

They all work so hard, strive to do the best they can for me and all my clients and also make every day fun and a joy to be with them all.

Our inspector said I have "a special remarkable practice." That makes all the hard work worthwhile and that accolade extends to my clients as you are all part of this special place.

Thanks to all,


© Cootes Veterinary Clinic, Gatehouse Lane, Burgess Hill, West Sussex RH15 9XD

Email: Telephone: 01444 242434

Website by Spies&Flyders Login